Thursday, June 28, 2018

FOODFIC: Please Welcome Gabi Stevens, Author of The Wish List




Food doesn’t play a huge role in my book The Wish List, but there is a quirky food item in it. Confession time, because I pulled it out of my own life: My heroine likes to eat Chocolate Chipless Cookies. What are they? As the name says, they’re chocolate chip cookies minus the chocolate chips.

I’m not a huge chocolate fan in real life. I will eat it, but it has to have something in it—nuts, peanut butter, butterfinger filling. No fruit. I will eat brownies, but prefer them with vanilla ice cream on top, no chocolate sauce. I prefer white cake to devil’s food, vanilla pudding to chocolate, and plain glazed doughnuts over chocolate ones. I wish they made eclairs without the chocolate covering the top. Oh, and it has to be milk chocolate. I hate dark chocolate. I think most of my tastes are that of an eight year old. You should see my drink choices.

When I make chocolate chip cookies, I leave out the chocolate chips. I love the cookie part, all buttery and soft, but the chocolate ruins it. And for my family, I meticulously place a few chips in strategic spots so they can have the chocolate. A bag of chips lasts me several batches.

In writing, it’s always fun to give your characters a quirk. Ron Weasley is afraid of spiders, Yoda speaks backwards, and Sheldon Cooper has too many to list. In The Wish List, I needed to give my character a quirk, something that made her a little more interesting, and I had one ready-made. Chocolate Chipless Cookies.

As I said, not much food in The Wish List, but what there is is special to me. If you want to read a book with more food in it, try the next one in the series, As You Wish. My heroine owns a bakery in that one.



Thanks for stopping by to share your food for thought, Gabi!



You can find Gabi here:




No comments:

Post a Comment