Friday, November 1, 2013

FOODFIC: The Mad Scientist's Daughter - Cassandra Rose Clarke




Did you see that subtitle? A Tale of Love, Loss and Robots. You knew that’d compel me to look inside to find out what these folks are eating! (Yes, the lovers and the robots.)

Turns out the foods that caught my attention weren’t begin eaten at all but merely seen, like when the fall “sunlight caramelized.” After that all I could think about was a caramel sun and how the heat would keep the syrup perfectly warm and gooey. Then I started getting hungry and wondering if I had the ingredients to make caramel and if it’d be hard to do. And then I remembered  I’d just bought pears, which would make perfect dipping vessels…

But ignore me; Clarke’s was a beautifully crafted image and I don’t want to take away from that (any more than I already have)! ;)

There were several other similar instances, like Cat’s parents taking her into the city where the sparkling department store windows showcase clothes “like ice cream sundaes.” She also meets a salesgirl with hair “the color of maraschino cherries,” which she’d like to have herself one day. 

Are you starting to see the pattern – how the world looks so delicious through Cat’s young eyes? That’s probably why I like her so much. ;)

Sadly, young is the operative word, and, as Cat grows up, she leaves the food similes behind along with her childhood. It’s an almost chicken-vs.-egg question: Does she stop seeing the world in a youthful way because she’s getting older, or is it her evolving sight that forces her to age? Really, the bigger concern is whether or not the adult Cat can ever find that early peace and happiness again…and what part the robot plays in all of it!

No comments:

Post a Comment