Libby Morse, Firespotter
This week I’m highlighting a teen heroine that I couldn’t get ahold of to give proper credit, which means she probably deserves it even more.
17-year-old Libby Morse was the first to notice that the smoke coming from a neighbor’s chimney looked wrong; the paramedic hopeful had learned in fire science class that “chimney smoke is more wispy and more caught by the wind and white, [but] this was more pushing out of the building and dark gray.”
Libby’s instructor, Chris Elliot, is extremely proud of his young student for putting the classroom lesson into real-life use, noting that Libby probably “saved that house from totally burning to the ground.”
Thanks to Libby, no people were injured in the fire (though, sadly, 3 pets were lost), and, although everything inside suffered smoke damage, the home can be saved.
Bravo, Libby Morse, wherever you are!
Do you know a toast-worthy teen you’d like to see featured here at BWATE?
Comment below with your email address so we can get a post together!